Church and Parish of St Cuthberts beside the North Loch now Princes Street Edinburgh
114. WILLIAM THOMSON was born 2nd January 1755 in Water of Leith Edinburgh and christened in St Cuthberts. He was a shoemaker at The Water of Leith. He married HELEN WARDEN on the 18th September 1778 at St Cuthberts Edinburgh.
115. HELEN WARDEN born 8th June 1759 at the Water of Leith Edinburgh and registered in the parish of St Cuthbert.
James Thomson b. 2/11/1779
Helen Thomson b. 7/12/1781
Elizabeth Thomson b. 21/10/1783
Helen Thomson b. 3/9/1785
Mary Thomson b. 20/3/1787
William Thomson b. 24/4/1789
John Thomson b. 17/5/1791
William Thomson b. 4/12/1792
57.Christian Thomson b. 25/4/1796
Rabina Thomson b. 8/9/1798
all born at St Cuthberts Parish Edinburgh
484. DOUGALL THOMSON was born around 1730. He was a Mariner. He married Helen Wilson and had a son 242. William Thomson.
485. HELEN WILSON was born around 1730. No details for her
In 1460 King James III ordered that the ground between the Old Town and Princes Street be flooded in an effort to strengthen the Castle's northern defences.
A dam was built at the east end, where North Bridge now stands. Natural spring water flowing from the original St. Margaret's Well at the foot of the castle was used to flood what once was a forested valley.
Initially it was a picturesque and relaxing haven for the residents of Edinburgh who would boat in the summer and skate in the winter. It must have been a beautiful sight reflecting the magificent castle.
Over the years however it became a convenient dump for all sorts of waste including human excrement in the days before proper sanitation and over the years it became a stinking cess-pool.
When obnoxious fumes and gasses began to seriously affect the health of the local residents. Methane gas would be concentrated up the narrow closes, many of which led to the banks of the Nor' Loch, and cause them to have hallucinations.
the decision was taken to drain the Loch in 1759 around the same time of the building of the New Town to the north.
The valley is now Princes Street Gardens
The rubble from the building of the New Town was used to create what is now 'The Mound' On which sit the Scottish Royal Academy and The National Art Gallery.